Resource Load Balancing

Thursday, March 7, 2013
Just wondering if anyone has a good practice to handle the project resource load balancing within a project and across multiple projects.  Here is the scenario uses in SpiraTeam:
1.  You declare the Hours-per-day and Days-per-week in the Project Planning section.
2.  In the Release/Iteration planning section, you declare the Iteration time box, SpiraTeam gives you the Available Effort based on the number of Resource you declared and the number of days within the Iteration that you declared.
3.  SpiraTeam automatically by default, assumes that all Resources equally put in the same effort for the Iteration, which not always true since some resource might be assigned to multiple projects or taking vacations/sick, etc.
4.  SpiraTeam allows you to enter the Non-working days (for vacations, sick, etc.)  However, SpiraTeam does not calculate the Available Effort using Non-working Days input.

Is this a Defect for release 4.0?

I would love to have a feature where you can declare the Percentage of the Available Effort that each resource can contribute to a Release/Iteration.  Can we have this enhancement request put on the list?  Or is there a better practice to handle resources across multiple projects and Non-working-days that i'm not aware of?  Any thoughts?
2 Replies
Friday, March 8, 2013
re: Nguyenphub Thursday, March 7, 2013

Hi Ben

I'm not sure if this helps, but we are planning on adding support for partial allocations. However on clarification, the # Resources field on a Release is meant to be total effective number of full resources, so two 50% part-time resources would mean that you enter a value of 1 (one) for # Resources.

Regards

Adam

Wednesday, June 28, 2017
re: inflectra.david Friday, March 8, 2013

It would be great if we could put a value of 1.5, right now resources only takes a whole number

Spira Helps You Deliver Quality Software, Faster and With Lower Risk

And if you have any questions, please email or call us at +1 (202) 558-6885

Statistics
  • Started: Thursday, March 7, 2013
  • Last Reply: Wednesday, June 28, 2017
  • Replies: 2
  • Views: 4340