SpiraTeam as Scrum tool

Wednesday, July 17, 2013
In using other Agile tools on the market, I am struggling to identify how one can essentially have 4 differing artifact types (Epic, Story, Task, Defect) that are all interrelated hierarchicaly? While the requirements area could arguably be the Epic/Story level, the disconnect I am having is that Defects are incidents and Tasks are incidents...or something else? Is there a whitepaper or documentation on how to make use of SpiraTeam in a more flexible Agile manner?
4 Replies
Thursday, July 18, 2013
re: aaron_mciver Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Hi Aaron

I would refer to the SpiraTeam tutorial to illustrate how the different artifacts work together: https://www.inflectra.com/Documents/SpiraTeam%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf

However in answer to your specific question:

• Requirements are the User Stories and Epics (depending on whether they are parent requirements or leaf ones)
  • Tasks are the technical tasks that are decompositions of each user story
  • Incidents are any bugs/issues that arise during testing that need to also be included in the Sprint/iteration

Regards

Adam

Thursday, July 18, 2013
re: inflectra.david Thursday, July 18, 2013
Thanks Adam, that helped.

Is it possible to adjust the effort type at the project level? It seems tightly coupled throughout the product to hours, whereas I would like to scale that up ala story points, or something generic. The caveat as you know is that the tool is assuming that the teams availability in hours somehow equates to the estimation in hours which is notoriously off.
Monday, July 29, 2013
re: aaron_mciver Thursday, July 18, 2013
Adam,

Any suggestion based on my previous reply?

Is it possible to adjust the effort type at the project level? It seems tightly coupled throughout the product to hours, whereas I would like to scale that up ala story points, or something generic. The caveat as you know is that the tool is assuming that the teams availability in hours somehow equates to the estimation in hours which is notoriously off.
Wednesday, July 31, 2013
re: aaron_mciver Monday, July 29, 2013

Hi Aaron

The plan for v4.1 is to have requirements estimated in story points and then allow you to manage in a more customized manner the conversion from story points to hours.

Regards

Adam

Spira Helps You Deliver Quality Software, Faster and With Lower Risk

And if you have any questions, please email or call us at +1 (202) 558-6885

Statistics
  • Started: Wednesday, July 17, 2013
  • Last Reply: Wednesday, July 31, 2013
  • Replies: 4
  • Views: 6515