Needed: backward referenz from the linked testcase to all testcases using it - and how to reset execution status

Friday, August 23, 2013
Dear all,
I have to implement testcases so called "lifecycle" ... which for me is to enter (1) an instruction, to modify (2), verify (3) up to processed (9) or deleted (10). Full details are not important here.
The point is, that I do have lifecycle testcases for different instruction types. The first step how to enter (1) is different ... but all other steps (2) up to (10) are exactly the same.
Copying the testcase a lot of times is a bad option in my opinion, as maintenance eg. changes to the description or reorder of steps will take huge effort. 
-> So I decided to create a "reusable testcase component" (it's just a normal testcase) which includes all steps (2) up to (10) and than I created one testcase for each instruction type with a speciffic step (1) and as step (2) I linked to the reusable component. This gets me all the other steps needed. Up to that point fine for me. :o)

Now I have 2 issues (and hope somebody can help):

- For changes at the "reusable component" it would be useful to know in which testcases the component was linked (as the change will affect all the testcases). I am able to see it from the testcase that links the component but not the other way round.
- After executing the testcase including the linked in testcase component the testcase and the component are marked as e.g. passed. Fine. After deleting the the test run the testcase itself is retested BUT not the "component".

Any ideas?
Thanks for your help.

BEST REGARDS
OLIVER

5 Replies
Monday, August 26, 2013
re: oliver.dahms Friday, August 23, 2013

Hi Olivier

Regarding your two questions:

1. There is not currently a way to see from the child test cases, all the parents that link to it. We hope to add this in the future.
  2. Deleting test runs is not normally something that's done on a routine basis, so the system doesn't update the status of the components, only the primary test case. If you need to set them back to Not Run, just make them Active = No and then Active = Yes and they will be marked as 'Not Run'.

Regards

Adam

Wednesday, September 4, 2013
re: inflectra.david Sunday, August 25, 2013
Hi Adam,
I appreciate your quick answers - they all are very helpful to me. THANKS A LOT.

Linked testcases are very useful for my test concept.
Concerning the reporting of linked test cases (parent - child relationship) it seems that for the <Printable Test Scripts> report the print out (of the parent) prints all the steps (renumbered) of parent AND child - but only the description of the parent.
This is somehow illogical for me: Why all of the steps but not all of the description? From a reuse point of view I would like to have the description for the reused (linked) test case child component in the component rather than copying it multiple times to the different parents. So I would have expected a merged "UNION" of both discriptions - or better a check-button in the reports' selection screen which gives me the choise.
I tried to create my own report - but failed.
Any ideas on that?
Thanks again.

OLIVER

Tuesday, December 22, 2015
re: inflectra.david Sunday, August 25, 2013
Dear Adam,

I am a new user of SpiraTeam and in the same configuration than Oliver: a lot of short test cases called in many sequences!  I need to do update a lot of them  and I want to know which sequences will be impacted.
You mentioned that in a later version, the functionality will be implements , do you have some news about it ?

Thanks for your answer
Regards

Cathy

Wednesday, December 23, 2015
re: cmansuy Tuesday, December 22, 2015
Hi Cathy,

No, that backward reference functionality for test cases hasn't been implemented yet. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Elise
Thursday, July 21, 2016
re: inflectra.kat Wednesday, December 23, 2015
I had the same problem and resorted to my old faithful Excel methodology

1. Export the project to Excel
  2. Apply filters across the headings (Row 2)
  3. Filter column K Test Step Description for all rows that begin with Call and all rows that contain null
  4. This will show all the Calls plus all the Folder and Test Case rows
  5. Now filter column L Expected Result; deselect (Select All)
  6. Select the TC number that you’re looking for and blanks

Voila!

Spira Helps You Deliver Quality Software, Faster and With Lower Risk

And if you have any questions, please email or call us at +1 (202) 558-6885

Statistics
  • Started: Friday, August 23, 2013
  • Last Reply: Thursday, July 21, 2016
  • Replies: 5
  • Views: 8897