Best way to upgrade SpiraTest 4.2 to 5.0

Tuesday, September 6, 2016
My company is trying to upgrade SpiraTest from version 4.2 to 5.0. The plan is to install 5.0 on a separate server, test it, make sure everything is working fine and only after that to upgrade it on production environment.
What is the best way to do that? 
My plan was to install 4.2 on a separate environment with the current DB snapshot and upgrade it to 5.0 using the latest installer. Once tested, uninstall Spira from the test server and install Spira 4.2 with current production data there once again. So I'll have two environments with the latest production data.
Then I'm planning to upgrade SpiraTest to 5.0 on one of the servers, so the other one will be a back up with an old SpiraTest version in case something goes wrong with the upgrade.
The problem is that I'll need an extra license key to use this approach. Is there any better alternative way to do this?  
3 Replies
Monday, September 12, 2016
re: ekupriyanova Tuesday, September 6, 2016
Hi Elizaveta

That is the best approach if you want to have both servers running to validate the approach.

We actually allow you to run a second server with the same license key as long as only one is for production use, so you should be fine.

Regards

Adam
Tuesday, September 13, 2016
re: ekupriyanova Tuesday, September 6, 2016
Maybe instead of installing you can just copy Spira together with DB?

1. Copy your 4.2 together with database to another instance (on the same or different server)
2. Now you have two 4.2 servers
3. Upgrade copied one to 5.0
Monday, February 20, 2017
re: r.fominych Tuesday, September 13, 2016
Roman Fominych
Maybe instead of installing you can just copy Spira together with DB?

1. Copy your 4.2 together with database to another instance (on the same or different server)
2. Now you have two 4.2 servers
3. Upgrade copied one to 5.0

Spira Helps You Deliver Quality Software, Faster and With Lower Risk

And if you have any questions, please email or call us at +1 (202) 558-6885

Statistics
  • Started: Tuesday, September 6, 2016
  • Last Reply: Monday, February 20, 2017
  • Replies: 3
  • Views: 3255