Question about a Test Set assigned to multiple owners

Wednesday, July 11, 2012
I have created a rather large test set.  I want to split up the work among several testers who will perform the work.  How do i go about assigning an owner to different users?  I know i can set the owner of the overall test set to one individual user, but not sure about how to assign different tests to different users.

When i assign the owner the overall Test Set to an user, it will show up on their 'My Page', which makes it easy for that user to start execution of the test set.  But the situation is a little different when trying to split up the work of a Test Set among several users.  Do you have any advise on how to make this happen?
8 Replies
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
re: temich Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The ability to assign separate owners to test cases in a single test set is designed to allow you to have a single integrated process / scenario test.

e.g. you are testing an ordering system. User 1 creates the order, User 2 approves the order, etc.

That way you can assign different tests in the set to the different participants. When the first user initiates test execution by clicking the Execute link on the test set in the My Page, it will then show up in the "My Pending Test Runs" for all the users in the test set.

Thursday, July 12, 2012
re: inflectra.david Wednesday, July 11, 2012
OK, I'm a little closer to understanding, but more questions remain...  In my original post, i mentioned that i created a large test set.  But i decreased the number of tests in the test set  just to make the demonstration of the problem i'm having a lil easier to see.

Here are the steps i took to get as far as I could:
  1. Created a new test set.
  2. I filled in the Name, Description, Release and Planned Date fields.
  3. I then added 8 test cases to the test set.
  4. I click 4 of the checkboxes of the test cases that are in the test set and click the Edit button.  Initially the 'owner' of each test case is blank, but i update the owner to 'jack' for 4 of the test cases in the test set.
  5. I then click Update button and it saves the owner to 4 of the test cases in the test set.
  6. I then click the other 4 checkboxes to the remaining test cases in the test set.  I update the owner of the test cases to 'tom'.
  7. So at this point, 4 of the test cases have the owner of 'jack' and 4 test cases have the owner of 'tom'.
  8. I then set the 'owner' of the Test Set to 'tom'.
  9. user 'tom' goes to his 'My Page'.  In the 'My Assigned Test Set', he can see the test set that is assigned to him.  It's easy to see that user 'tom' has work assigned to him.
  10. user 'jack' goes to his 'My Page.  In the 'My Assigned Test Set', there is nothing there.  It does not look like he has any work planned for him at this point.  (this seems wrong)
  11. user 'tom' clicks the 'Execute' link that is below the Test Set that is in the 'My Assigned Test Set' area.
  12. It then goes to the 'Test Execution Wizard' screen.  It displays all of the tests that are in the test set, regardless of whose assigned to them.
  13. The first test case in the list is actually assigned to 'jack'.  There's a warning message at the top of the page that says 'This test run is Read Only as it's assigned to Jack Noble'.
  14. But above this message are the buttons 'Pass', 'Pass All', 'Blocked', 'Caution', 'Fail', 'Pause', and 'Finish'. (this seems wrong.  I can actually 'pass' this first read only test case if i want)
  15. I get by this oddity, as it only does it for the first test case in the list.  I then click on the second test case in the list.
  16. Again, it tells me 'This test run is Read Only as it's assigned to Jack Noble'.  But this time, it removes the 'Pass', 'Fail', etc. buttons.  I can no longer update the Read Only test cases. (this seems correct now)
  17. So at this point, I start to get a lil confused.  Where are the test cases that are assigned to 'tom'?  Am i supposed to click thru all of the test cases in the test set to find the tests cases that are assigned to 'tom'?  Is there a way to jump to the test cases that are just assigned to 'tom' in this list?  Can i hide the test cases that are assigned to 'jack'?  It just seems very complicated if i have to go hunting for the test cases that have been assigned to 'tom' given the way it is displayed in the test run.
Tuesday, July 24, 2012
re: temich Thursday, July 12, 2012
Will this question get answered?
Friday, July 27, 2012
re: temich Tuesday, July 24, 2012
For rapid answers please submit a support ticket. We only check the forums periodically and do not guarantee turnaround times. With support tickets we will respond within one business day.
Friday, July 27, 2012
re: inflectra.david Friday, July 27, 2012
In answer to your question, the purpose of this function is to have multiple testers run through a single integrated test set at roughly the same time, it is not meant to be a way to assign independent tests to people that get run on an independent schedule. For that you need to create multiple test sets.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
re: inflectra.david Friday, July 27, 2012
I'm afraid that I am also having an issue with this behavior.  I have a large number of test cases that span multiple business units and in the past we have run the test cases across those business units as a single case.  In this system it appears that I will not be able to 'change ownership' of a test case and continue the Test run so I am at a loss as to how I will be able to provide reporting on the end-to-end test case results across business units and coordinate the passing of test cases across testers within those units.  Example:  business unit A, B and C all use order entry systems that create an order to be filled and generate an invoice for finance.  The test cases walks a tester from a business unit a through creation of an order, the test case then calls a second test case that needs to be executed by a tester from the business unit that fills the order and generates an invoice and finally a third test case is triggered for testing of the integration with the systems used by a tester from the finance unit.  Is there some documentation I've missed on best practices for setting up these types of tests in the system?  I am new to the system and am just not sure how to best handle the dependent nature of these types of test cases in the system.
Wednesday, October 17, 2012
re: bukovacl Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Hi Linda

We'd recommend assigning the owners of the individual test cases within the test set to accomplish this goal.

Regards

Adam

Friday, December 7, 2012
re: inflectra.david Wednesday, October 17, 2012
I'm curious if when using this functionality (test set w/ cases assigned to multiple users) the Test Set Status should be updated automatically once all users have finished their test case runs?  Currently I am seeing the Test Set Status go to 'In Progress' as it is being run, but once completed it is reset to 'Not Run.' v3.2 (011).  Is this correct? Seems like since all assigned users have completed their assigned test case runs, the Test Set Status should be 'Completed'.

Spira Helps You Deliver Quality Software, Faster and With Lower Risk

And if you have any questions, please email or call us at +1 (202) 558-6885

Statistics
  • Started: Wednesday, July 11, 2012
  • Last Reply: Friday, December 7, 2012
  • Replies: 8
  • Views: 4726