Copy Test Steps to another Test Case

Friday, January 18, 2013
Is there anyway to copy test steps from one test case to another?
12 Replies
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
re: vickienb Friday, January 18, 2013

Hi Vickie

Not currently I'm afraid. You could do it indirectly by using our MS-Excel import/export add-in.

Regards

Adam

Thursday, April 18, 2013
re: inflectra.david Tuesday, January 22, 2013
I'd like to vote for this, it would save me time.
Thursday, April 25, 2013
re: kratschb Thursday, April 18, 2013
Big vote for this one from me also.
I'd like to be able to copy, or rather 'clone' the complete test case and then make the changes. Test cases for some functional area are often the same, with minimal changes.
I am currently in the process of selecting a Test Management Tool, and this is one of the criteria.
It is a time saver, and it takes away a lot of tedious work.
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
re: mgpmul Thursday, April 25, 2013
Another vote for this.  Basic time saving feature that is needed.  Thinking of writing something with API as workaround in the meantime.
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
re: vickienb Friday, January 18, 2013
Has any progress been made on this feature? We have a lot of team members who would love having this ability to copy test steps to another test case as well.
Wednesday, February 24, 2016
re: hjwouden Wednesday, February 10, 2016
Hiya,
Would also like to know if there is any progress on this.  I'm not currently a customer, but trying to find an alternative for a tool that we're using that doesn't have this facility, as its something we really need.  We need to make sure that we move to a tool that has it (or will be implementing it soon) before we make the move.
Wednesday, February 24, 2016
re: H-LaRoche Wednesday, February 24, 2016
Good news, everyone! This long-awaited enhancement has made it into our next version of SpiraTest, 5.0. It is not ready for final release yet, but a beta version will be coming out soon. Watch our website for the announcement.
Monday, November 13, 2017
re: inflectra.kat Wednesday, February 24, 2016

would you please confirm in which version of Spira, this feature is available.

Monday, November 13, 2017
re: kiran87 Sunday, November 12, 2017

Hi Kiran,

Starting with SpiraTest version 5.0, you can import test steps from another test case into the test case you are editing.

Regards,

Elise

Tuesday, November 14, 2017
re: inflectra.kat Monday, November 13, 2017

We are using Spira v5.0.0.8 however whenever we are copying the test steps in a test case, a duplicate copy of those steps being created in same test case and no paste option is coming in any other test case.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017
re: kiran87 Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Hi Kiran,

Yes, the copy (or clone, as it was changed to) function only copies within the test case. You need to use the Import button. That allows you to bring the steps from another test case into the current test case.

Regards,

Elise

Friday, February 17, 2023
re: inflectra.kat Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Hey there!

That update isn't actually helpful.

Most of the time, I just need to copy 1 or 2 steps from an existing test case.

It wastes a lot of my time having to import all the steps, reorganize then, and delete the ones I don't need. Especially when the steps I want to copy are from a very long test case.

Please add an update to your software in the future that allows a user to copy some steps from one test case into another rather than having to copy all steps from one test case to another.

Thanks!

Spira Helps You Deliver Quality Software, Faster and With Lower Risk

And if you have any questions, please email or call us at +1 (202) 558-6885

Statistics
  • Started: Friday, January 18, 2013
  • Last Reply: Friday, February 17, 2023
  • Replies: 12
  • Views: 5774