Skip Navigation LinksHome Page > Forums > RemoteLaunch Forums > RemoteLaunch Issues & Que... > RemoteLaunch give extensi...
I've been using TestComplete and SpiraTeam RemoteLauch together for a while now and things had previosly been working fine. Now however after updating to TestComplete 9.2 and using the extenstion provided by Inflectra for the new version I am getting a message that appears after trying to kick off a test through RemoteLaunch.
After saving the parameters for the run in SpiraTeam, shortly after I check and it appears in the Status tab of RemoteLauch displaying the test to be kicked off by the tool. When it comes times for the test to start a small green play sign appears next to the date (still in Status tab) showing that it has began to run. This green play sign lasts only for a short time and then turns to a red "X". Nothing gets ran and the test set dissapears from the queue.
I check back with SpiraTeam to see whatever issue was returned and the message I get under Test Run Details is that the Execution Status was Blocked with attached message reading:
"Extension 'TestComplete9.2' was not loaded or was in error condition. Could not run TC:2618 in TX:356."
I have not made any changes whatsoever to this file, simply copied and pasted it from the Inflectra download to my extensions folder for Spira RemoteLauch.
Please assist, I have no idea where this is coming from.
The updated extension for TestComplete9.2 was not given a new "Token" name, it actually uses the same token name "TestComplete9" as the previous one. We generally only change the 'token' name for new major releases.
So change the token name in SpiraTeam from "TestComplete9.2" to "TestComplete9" and it will work with the new extension DLL.